Having leg cramps during pregnancy? This has been my straggle. Usually, it starts during the second trimester and comes and go until the very end. It is typical for pregnancy and it affect the calf and foot or both. For me it is both. I hate those wake-up cramp pains in the middle of the night. I also hate when those cramps are so strong that my muscles stay in pain for the next few days.While the exact cause of leg cramps during pregnancy is unknown I found a few ways to help me minimize them or even avoid for certain period of time.
Magnesium and Potassium is the solution!
When cramps get really bad for me I reach out for supplements. On other days I try to find food rich in them and supplement my body via the appropriate diet.
Zucchini is a great source of vitamin C, vitamin B-6, vitamin A, magnesium and potassium. This is a great snack for a pregnant lady straggling with cramps as it boosts your body with potassium and magnesium. I have myself in my second trimester a lot of cramps in my calves and feet. I love this snack as it helps me get necessary nutritious to minimize or even remove those night cramps.
On top of it, my little man loves those fritters so this is definitely another win-win recipe for me. Give it a try and let me know how it worked for you!
Total Servings: 6 fritters
Prep Time: 35 mins
Cook Time: 5-7 mins
Total Time: 42-44 mins
1 medium zucchini, grated
½ cup cheese, grated
½ cup whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons parsley (optional)
½ tablespoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
Olive oil to fry
- Put grated zucchini into a bowl and add salt. Mix together and set aside for around 30 mins. Salt will get the juice out of zucchini.
- Squeeze the juice out of zucchini and put it back to the bowl.
- Add cheese, egg and parsley and mix together.
- Add flour and mix until well combined.
- On the medium heat preheat oil on the frying pan.
- Once hot form fritters and fry for about 5-7 flipping half way through.
- Serve once warm.