This dish is super easy to make and really healthy. It is also a great way to give your kids turnip that is loaded with fiber, lots of vitamins and minerals and also a great source of omega-3 fatty acids and protein. Do I have to sell it more? You got it girl.
Also, it goes really well as a side dish with turkey. But I personally like to serve is as a desert. I’m sure you will find your own way to fit it into your menu. Give it a try, you won’t regret.
Total Servings: 8
Prep Time: 25 mins
Cook Time: 1h
Total Time: 1h 25 mins
Ingredients 1 turnip 2 apples 1 pinch cinnamon 1/3 cup whole wheat flour 2/3 cup brown sugar 3 tablespoon butter
1. Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C).
2. Peel, dice and cook turnip until fork-tender (about 20 min). Drain and mash with 1 tbsp butter. Set aside.
3. Peel and slice apples. Toss with 1/3 cup brown sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
4. Spread ½ the turnip mixture into a medium sized casserole dish, then spread all the apple mixture, and then top with remaining ½ of turnip mixture.
5. Combine crust ingredients (1/3 cup of whole wheat flour, 1/3 cup of brown sugar, 2 tbsp of butter) to a crumbly texture and pat on top of casserole.
6. Bake at 350 F for an hour or until heated through.